- Announcing open auditions for "A Charlie Brown Christmas, and other holiday favorites".
Who: Directed by Mark Mason. Music for holiday favorites directed by Marty Kaspar
When: Auditions for A Charlie Brown Christmas will be held on Wednesday and Thursday, October 17th and 18th, from 7:15- 9:00PM
Where: at the Hope United Methodist Church, 2506 Caton Farm Road, Joliet, Il. Located on the south side of the street, a couple blocks west from Route 30. Directions here.
Please enter through the main doors to the foyer.
We will be using wejoinin for online sign-up times. It's easy! Here's the link: https://www.wejoinin.com/sheets/xvnol
There are 10 spots available in each of three time frames; 7:15 - 8:00, 8:00 - 8:30, and 8:30 - 9:00. If we need more time, we will be staying later.
Performances are December 15th and 16th inside the Bicentennial Park Theatre.
• Cast for a Charlie Brown Christmas consists of 5 men and 5 women, and a dog!. Well, at least a person appearing as a dog, the one and only Snoopy!
• The cast needed for the "other holiday favorites" includes vocalists for solos, duets, quartets, and dancers and an ensemble for those favorites (see list below), and will be between 12-24 talented people.
• Auditions begin at 7:15 PM. Expect to fill out a contact sheet with your singing and acting experience (if any.)
• If you are auditioning for A Charlie Brown Christmas, you will be doing cold readings from the script.
• If you are auditioning for the holiday favorites, you will be asked to sing one of the songs scheduled to be in that part of the production (list of songs listed below).
• You may audition for both and be in both, if you like!
• You need to know your schedule and conflicts between the date of your audition and the closing date of the show.
• Rehearsal schedules for both parts of the production will be seperate, and will not conflict. CBC will rehearse 2-3 times a week, and holiday favorites only once a week for ensemble numbers, once a week for others. The final week of the production there will be rehearsal every night.
• Every participant is also expected to help with the advertising of the production, distibuting posters, sharing the event on social media,etc. There is no fee to participate.
Performance dates and times are December 15th at 2:00 PM and 7:30 pm, and Sunday December 16th at 2:00 PM.
About the show - A Charlie Brown Christmas is the stage version of the animated classic television special A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS coming to life in this faithful stage adaptation, in which Charlie Brown, Snoopy, and the rest of the Peanuts Gang discover the true meaning of Christmas. For those who don't know the story, "when Charlie Brown complains about the overwhelming materialism he sees among everyone during the Christmas season, Lucy suggests that he become director of the school Christmas pageant. Charlie Brown accepts, but this proves to be a frustrating endeavor. When an attempt to restore the proper holiday spirit with a forlorn little Christmas fir tree fails, he needs Linus’ help to discover the real meaning of Christmas."
The cast consists of:
Charlie Brown- a mopey, wishy-washy round-headed kid with a good heart, who tries to always do good and can't understand why Christmas makes him so depressed
Snoopy- a little dog with a big imagination, exuberantly happy just to be Snoopy
Lucy- scary smart, crabby, bossy in a good way, a girl who knows she should be in charge and possessing a powerful anger; in love with someone who will never love her back
Linus- a sincere, intelligent intellectual; a brilliant but insecure kid who nevertheless can't let go of his blanket
Pig Pen- a dirty kid who raises a cloud of dust wherever he goes; confident and proud
Schroeder- a brilliant pianist who can play Beethoven sonatas on a toy piano: takes himself and his art far too seriously, oblivious to everything but music
Frieda- superficial and haughty, obsessed with her own naturally curly hair
Sally- Charlie Brown's little sister; a brilliant girl whose sunny disposition masks her inner cynical schemer
Shermy- crew-cut kid who every Christmas always has to be a shepherd; hates "Good Ol' Charlie Brown"
Violet- pony-tailed Mean Girl, makes mud pies and hates Charlie Brown, loves to dance
Patty- Mean Girl wearing saddle shoes, loves to insult Charlie Brown, loves to dance
About Mark Mason, the director for A Charlie Brown Christmas:
Born and raised in Joliet, Mark Mason is a playwright, director, filmmaker and photographer who is thrilled to be directing A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS for the Joliet Drama Guild. A graduate of The Theatre School at DePaul University, his plays have been done from Chicago to Los Angeles with over fifteen playwriting credits over the last decade, twice with The Inconvenience and five times for the Chicago One-Minute Play Festival. As a director, he has worked primarily in Chicago, directing most often short plays for City Lit Theater's Art of Adaptation Festival. He has worked in the past with Timeline Theatre, InFusion Theatre Company, The Artistic Home Ensemble, Redtwist Theatre, Outlaw Production Collective, Talif Productions, Chicago Dramatists, and the Stockyards Theatre Project. Inspired by his comic stripaficionado grandfather Donald Watters, Mark grew up loving Charles M. Schulz's PEANUTS characters, wrote to Mr. Schulz as a young boy, was thrilled when the great man responded, and is delighted to help tell the timeless and beautiful story this holiday season.
For the "other holiday favorites", we are looking for singers and dancers for the following favorites: (subject to change)
It’s The Most Wonderful Time of the Year – ala Andy Williams, and ensemble
Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree – ala Brenda Lee with separate dance combo
The Christmas Song- Nat King Cole, 1961
Baby it’s Cold Outside – Duet
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas- MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS – solo - either
Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth – duet – male
Turkey Lurkey Time- PROMISES, PROMISES - Dance with vocal background
Merry Christmas, Darling - The Carpenters – solo - female
Snow – HOLIDAY INN - Quartet
Santa Baby – solo - female
I’ll Be Home for Christmas - solo - either
That Holiday Feeling- Steve Lawrence & Eydie Gorme, 1964 duet, with separate dance combo
White Christmas- HOLIDAY INN - Quartet
We Need A Little Christmas- MAME
Frosty the Snowman
Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Santa Claus is Comin to Town
12 Days of Christmas- ensemble with audience participation
We Wish You the Merriest- Les Brown and his Orchestra, 1961
So pick a song from the list you'd like to perform, look it up on YouTube for a little research, and give it a go!
Staying with the theme of the show, we are hoping for performances of these songs that can mimic the original as much as possible. So, if you do a mean take on Frank, Bing, Karen, Perry, Andy, Judy, etc - any of the artists that would have performed these selections on a Christmas special in the past, here's your chance! If you just "do you", and you do any of these selections well, we want to hear that, too! Let's face it; there will never be another Bing Crosby.
Sheet music for these selections will be available at auditions, but you may also use a recorded track of the songs from your phone, bluetooth or corded connection available.
- We are always looking for talented performers to participate in our ongoing outreach program that performs a variety show at various locations throughout the year. The show includes songs, skits, readings, poetry, and anything else that is entertaining! Those involved would not need to be available all of the time. The show will change as needed. If you are interested in this, send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you'd like to sign up to get e-mail alerts for upcoming auditions, fill out the form here.
- For more information and to indicate your interest in directing, please e-mail us at JDG@jolietdramaguild.org.
If you are interested in being a part of any production, you can always send an e-mail to email@example.com. We are always looking for people willing to help! If behind the scenes is more to your liking, we are always looking for production personnel for any show as well.!
Visit here again for audition information regarding our upcoming shows.
or contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.